E-commerce is a booming industry these days and with more and more people turning to online shopping, this trend looks set to continue long into the future. While this is great news for anyone who has an e-commerce business, it also means that there is a lot of competition for customers, with new online stores popping up every day.
While there are a number of different factors that define how successful your e-commerce business will be, a solid marketing strategy is one of your best recipes for success.
When you’re looking to drive your e-commerce sales you can’t go wrong with email marketing. Email marketing is a great way for you to keep your customers engaged with your business and coming back to buy more.
Here are five different email marketing strategies that can help you grow your e-commerce business.
- Make use of transactional emails. While most email marketing campaigns stand alone, it is worthwhile thinking about your transactional emails and how you can make them work better as part of your overall email marketing campaigns. Transactional emails (for example, purchase confirmations and delivery notifications) have the highest open rates of any email and this makes them prime email real estate to display your message.
- Send relevant content that’s related to your customers’ interests. This is especially good for niche e-commerce stores. If you sell specialised sports or hobby gear, or you are targeted at a specific niche (for example expecting mothers), sending a weekly round up of interesting and useful articles is a great way to stay top of mind in your recipients without seeming pushy.
- Make your recipients feel like they are special. We all like to feel special and giving your recipients access to exclusive deals, insider information and sneak previews of new products can help build loyalty with your customers and improve your sales.
- Follow up campaigns after a customer has made a purchase. Once a customer purchases from you, this shouldn’t be the end of your relationship with them. Follow up marketing helps turn them from a one-off buyer to a long term, loyal customer. A simple way to do this is to send some helpful information about their purchase. Maintenance tips, suggestions to help them get more out of their new product and an invitation for them to get in touch if they have any questions can go a long way to creating goodwill and build on your existing relationship.
- Create exclusive, time sensitive offers and special discounts. While offers and discounts can be a powerful tool in their own right, by making them time sensitive you create a sense of urgency that will inspire your readers to take you up on the offer now, rather than putting it off for another time (and then probably forgetting about it).
The right marketing strategy is crucial to the success of your e-commerce business. If you’re keen to harness the power of email marketing to grow your e-commerce business, why not try some of the ideas above and see what happens?